Sunday, February 11, 2007

An Ode to Shakespeare

Photobucket

With the season's commercialized mush, an ode to some of Shakespearan sonnets I have memorized by heart.

SONNET CXLVII
My love is as a fever, longing still
For that which longer nurseth the disease,
Feeding on that which doth preserve the ill,
Th' uncertain sickly appettite to please.
My reason, thy physician to my love,
Angry that his prescriptions are not kept,
Hath left me, a desperate now approve
Desire is death, which physic did except.
Past cure I am, reason is past care,
And frantic-mad, with evermore unrest;
My thoughts and my discourse as madmen's are,
At random from the truth vainly expressed:
For I have sworn thee fair, and thought thee bright,
Who art as black as hell, as dark as night.
~~~
SONNET XXIX
When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
and trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
with what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love rememb'red such sweet wealth brings,
That then I scorned to change my state with kings.
~~~
Let me share with you the real meaning of "love"~ and not just cupid's version of it:

"If I speak in tongues of men and of angels....If I have the gift of prophecy... If I have faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing....
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails..."
Paul of Tarsus~Corinthians 1:13
Though we are imperfect, we constantly need to practice and uphold this teaching (Hard I know!). But that shouldn't stop us from trying.
Happy Valentine's day to you all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

My Playpen Design by Insight © 2009